Monday, June 30, 2014
About 3 months ago, my husband and I were looking at our budget, and trying to find areas to cut expenses. One opportunity for savings was our satellite service. We were paying more than $110.00 each month to watch a handful of channels.
Through some friends, we heard about Aereo. That evening, we went to the site, signed up, paid $12.00 and we had streaming service. For us, it was perfect. We were able to get a few major channels that we wanted (ABC,NBC,CBS, and Fox) and did not have to pay for 80 channels that we had no interest in watching.
Plus, we were able to access Aereo on our phones, tablet, t.v., and computer. We are increasingly mobile, and we cherished the fact that we could access t.v. basically anywhere.
But, on Saturday, we received an email from Aereo noting the Supreme Court decision that made their business model illegal, and for the time being, they were shutting down operations.
Frankly, I disagree with how cable services are provided to us in America. We seem to have 2 options: buy everything or buy nothing for subscription based entertainment, irregardless if we want certain channels or not. That would be like going to the grocery store to buy grapes, but, if you want grapes, you have to buy every other type of fruit, no matter if you use it or not.
Why should I have to pay for the fishing,hunting, and golf channel if I never plan to watch them? I am not forced to buy brussel sprouts each month. I think they are disgusting and I will never eat them. Why would the government try to force me to buy something that I don't want?
In the end, the current system simply does not seem fair to consumers. It seems to benefit the big corporations. The Supreme Court made their decision, and we have to accept it.
Weigh in, what do you think? Any other former Aereo users out there?
Friday, June 27, 2014
It's time for our Friday Confessions!
1.I have been wildly unproductive at work. These past 2 weeks with the World Cup on, I have been streaming it on our iPad. 2 games a day at 2 hours a piece, thats 4 hours a day that I am hardly working.
Thursday, June 26, 2014
Monday, June 23, 2014
Monday, June 16, 2014
Friday, June 13, 2014
Its that time of week....Friday confessions!
1.I took my jeans off in the car at a stop light and drove home in my underwear. We had an event this week that was outdoors, and it was HOT. I was an idiot and wore blue jeans rather than shorts, and by the time I left, I was a sweaty mess and could not take it anymore. So I took off my jeans and drove home with no pants on.
2. P and I went to a bakery and bought a dozen cookies and a huge brownie, and they were all gone within 3 hours. There is no explanation needed other than they were really good.
3. When walking my dog this week, I didn't pick up poo from a yard. I was going to, but then I looked around to see if anyone was watching and darted off.
4. When walking my other dog this week, I picked up the poo in a poo bag, then left the bag in their yard. In my defense, I still had a long way to run, and I could not run with poo in my hand.
5. There is a poo bag on my porch that has been there for over a week. At least my dogs are getting some great exercise this week....right?
Monday, June 9, 2014
Friday, June 6, 2014
Hey y'all, it's Friday, and you knew what that means.....
1. I went running one morning and thought I saw a snake, and froze. For 2 full minutes I just stood there watching. Turns out, it was a piece of a bike chain that broke off, and not a snake. So, not sure what will happen when I do come across a real snake....
2. I lost in at Bed Bath and Beyond. Have y'all been in that store? There is too much stuff, the isles are too narrow and there are too many people. I exclaimed, quite loudly " there are too many people in here" as I was trapped behind a large group of women. They heard, they stared, and continued to block the isle.
3. I was the ultimate loser at a fancy Thai restaurant. I don't like Asian food, it's just not my thing. It took about 5 minutes of explaining to the waiter that I wanted grilled chicken, rice, and sautéed veggies, with. O sauce. He kept suggesting other things, but I kept saying no and telling him what I wanted. Keep in mind that I was at a work dinner, so it was a tad bit embarrassing.
All right, fess up!
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
We have had more snow and ice this year than in the pasts 10. We have had 90 degree days followed by 30 degree weeks.
We are supposedly in year 5 of a 10 year drought, but this spring, thank goodness, we have had some much needed rain.
Add to all of that a busy spring with travel, friend in town, family in town, and lots of social obligations, our garden has taken a back seat. For the past few months, we have talked about planting our garden, but it seemed that this year, the odds were stacked against us. We could never find the time to till or pull weeds and prep everything.
On Memorial Day we finally found the time to do a little something. Given how late in the season we were, we decided to keep it simple.
We planted a few tomato bushes, herbs, and some jalapenos.