Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Frustration

I am going to get on my soap box, so get ready.
I am pretty frustrated these days when I see the way young women dress/talk/act.
I know this is not true for all girls and women, but I feel like there is a "dumbing down" of women in this country. I see girls who play dumb to get attention from guys. I see girls who dress in short shorts and tiny tops and allow men to make comments about their bodies. I see girls who's self esteem is completely defined by the males in their lives. It is so sad to me.
I don't think being dumb is cute. I don't think playing stupid is funny. The young girls and women are letting this world take hold of them it is ridiculous.
I think it is great when a woman shows how smart she is, or capable she can be. Yes we all have our "duh" moments where we say something silly or flaky, but to try and live your life like that is wrong. To try and pretend that you are not able to think for yourself, or the only tools you have in your arsenal are your body, looks, and hair, that is dumb.
These girls need to stand up for who they are and what they are. There is so much more to them than just the physical. It is basically the Paris Hilton effect, and it makes me sick.
What about women like Alice Paul, Elisabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, Sally Ride, or Nelli Ross. These should be the women who girls are looking up to. These women who fought against that glass ceiling. These women who worked relentlessly for women's suffrage and rights. These women who were strong, intelligent, and beautiful. Women who used their minds and created change. And those women who never made the paper, teachers, doctors, lawyers, professors, and public servants.
These are the women to look up to, not the Hollywood junk that is being pushed in our faces.

4 comments:

Denise said...

make room on that soap box for me. I am so with you.

Simplelivin' said...

Amen sister! I feel bad for the younger generation, because every where they look they see that they have to look good (ie bare skin) to get what they want. They need to have real role models to example how a lady should look/act etc.

TeacHer said...

But on a positive note, girls at the high school level are really out-performing boys in every way. I'm teaching summer school right now, and there are so few girls there because girls don't fail classes at the rate that boys do. So even if girls are acting stupid (which is unacceptable in my opinion) at least they aren't under-performing academically on purpose.

Brooke said...

i swear if i have a daughter she's going to be the most uncool kid at school - no way i'd let my kid out of the house dressed the way girls these days do!