Thursday, June 30, 2011

Food Inc.


We watched Food Inc. this weekend. WOW. I was floored by what we saw. Some of the things revealed in that movie blew my mind. The chemicals they use in our foods and the processes they use to grow our meat, I was horrified by what we saw. When it was over we immediatly walked out the door and went to Whole Foods. It was a nice, cleansing experience, and made me feel better.

I did walk away from the movie a bit confused on where to start. We eat pretty healthfully around here, but we don't buy organic foods because of the price, we honestly cannot afford to buy everything organic. However, we did decide that we are going to start small, and we are going to start with our meat. I go meatless 2 days a week, and this past weekend, the hubs and I talked about it, and he said he would give up meat 2 days a week also so that we can buy organic meat!!!!

While we were at Whole Foods we ended up talking to the butcher, his name is Tom. He was so helpful and very informative. We ended up buying some organic steaks(they are huge and cost a ton, they better be worth it!) and because the most common type of meat we eat is chicken, Tom the butcher gave us some raw chicken for free. He even explained how the organic chicken actually tasts different because of the way it was raised. We decided that we are going to make the organic chicken and the normal chicken we buy in the exact same way in different pans and have a little taste test. I will let you know how it goes.

What about you and your family, do yall eat organics? Do you see a difference?

(A special thanks goes out to Denise at Capturing the Days. She gave me some guidance on my food journey. Thanks Denise!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are welcome. I think you have made the right choice with starting with your meat. Mine 1/4 of a cow comes tomorrow!! As far as fruit and veggies, be sure to check out the dirty dozen:

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

that movie was VERY eye opening - heart changing for me too.

~Carla~ said...

Ive seen Food Inc. a few times, love it! Organic local meat is worth every single penny! And the taste difference s amazing! I only eat organic meats & eggs. Fruits & veggies buy local & organic as much as possible... but am not as strict with them as I am with meats/eggs.

The Budgeting Babe said...

Yes, we mostly eat organic. It's all I buy - made the decision a few years ago and am very happy with it. I got really concerned about added antibiotics and hormones in my meat, plus I'm horrified by CAFOs. Once you start getting used to the quality of organic food, you will notice a HUGE difference in the selection at your typical meat counter. Congratulations on starting your food journey.