Monday, March 29, 2010

Meatless? Me???

I have been looking more and more at what I eat. I am learning so much, and I have really realized that you are what you eat. You will get out of your body what you put in. I keep hearing so much about how many hormones are injected in our meat and all they junk that is in it. Honestly, P and I cannot afford to eat all organic. But, I have realized that I can eat less meat. Being a true Southerner, I have eat meat at almost every single meal most of my life. Growing up, we had meat, a starch, and a vegetable at every single dinner. We could not afford to eat out, but my mom made sure we had some well balanced meals. A few weeks ago I spoke with a friend who has been doing some research and she was telling me that in countries that don't consume much meat, and have a diet higher in veggies and grains have a much lower rate of cancer and obesity. After talking with my friend, I started going meatless on Mondays, which is not something that I had ever done. I have been so used to having meat so much that if there was no meat on the plate, it just seemed like a snack to me. But I have been feeling great, so I have decided to go meatless on Monday's and Friday's. Plus, I have been much more discerning about the meat that I do it.
I know that going meatless is not the answer to all the food questions I have, but I feel like this a major step in the right direction for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

meatless mondays is like a campaign actually. we are eating at least two meatless meals a week. i love it but hubbie always rolls his eyes.

Simplelivin' said...

Yay! I was a vegetarian for quite a few years, and still refrain from eating red meat (well, at least from buying it, I still enjoy a good hamburger at a cookout). Slowly hubby has been coming around, and we have at least one, but more likely than not more meatless meals a week.

Brooke said...

i try to do meatless at least once a week to save money. Sam's club had boca meatless burgers cheaper than real meat. and only 100 calories a burger.

savings said...

I don't eat meat, and never really have (don't like the taste of it, plus the whole idea of it really grosses me out!). Boyfriend however, really didn't consider it a meal unless it had meat on it for a long time. This year, he's been skipping the meat a LOT (he probably has chicken 3 times a week and that's it, unless we're going out for a burger or something, which happens maybe once a month), and he says that he feels a lot better. Plus meat is so expensive, that you'll end up saving money, which is always good.