Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Are we ready? Part 1.

There are no words that I have for those runners in Boston. I sat and watched the news in pure shock. How could this have happened? All of the runners and spectators who were there are in my thoughts and prayers, constantly.
There are no words to describe the pure and utter sadness of this event. This is a world wide event, and it is full of people who worked hard to get there, people who sacrificed so much to push their limits, and someone who hates us chipped away at our naivete.

Then the news cuts to the terrifying situation on the Korean Peninsula. Threats of bombings. Vows to destroy us. Desire to throw the world into chaos.

What is happening? What can we do? How do we respond to this?

The past few weeks, P and I have had some serious discussions, asking if we are ready if a terrorist attack occurred, or a major natural disaster, what would we do? How would we respond? Do we have the necessary means to care for ourselves for a few hours, a few days, or even weeks? Where do we go? How do we contact each other?

Over the course of the next few weeks, I think we need to have this conversation. How do we prepare for an emergency and how do we respond in that event?

Tomorrow I will start outlining our emergency preparedness plan. I will show you what we have done and what steps we have taken to prepare for an emergency.

Do you have a plan in place? Are there any precautions you have taken?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's responsible to have a plan. Very responsible, in fact. But I won't devote my energy to thinking about it too much. Because then "they" win.

What happened yesterday is just unreal... Praying for all those involved!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Denise said...

we live in an unjust world. I can't even fathom what had to been like to be there. praying for certain.

eager to read your plan.

Michelle said...

We are wanting to work on a plan as well. Especially since there was just a tornado in our neighborhood and we were completely unprepared.

Brooke said...

i don't have a plan. i'm not sure we can ever be truly prepared for what some sick mind wants to do to hurt us

Heather said...

We don't have a great plan, but we have somewhat of one. I think that it is important to be prepared, and I think that there are so many reasons to have a plan besides some sort of terrorist attack - hurricanes, ice storms, tornados, blizzards - to name a few.

I am looking forward to reading what you guys are doing! My husband and I go back and forth a lot on if we should uproot our family and go "somewhere else" wherever that is. I think it comes from a desire to homestead, but also to protect ourselves from whatever may happen. I realize that all is in God's hands, but think He wants us to take some initiative once in a while :-)