Monday, October 29, 2012

I voted today and I almost cried, but I didn't.

Today after work, I voted. The experience was quick and painless. If all government programs ran as efficiently as the polling place did today, I think many of us would have a different view of the government, but that it a different story for a different day.

Today, as the eldery woman pointed out the features of the monitor, I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I wanted to hug her, but again I didn't. I stood there looking at the screen, and was over come by the emotion of voting. I stood there for a brief second and I thought about all of those who came before us.

Those women who fought to give us the right to vote. The ones who were abandonded by their families because of their beliefs. I thought about the wars fought so that we could have the right to vote, to be ignorant, or be lazy. I thought about the millions of people all across the world who are fighting right now for the right to choose their next leader. I thought about all of them, and just as much as I cast my vote to hear my own voice, I cast it for them too. The ones who long for freedom, justice, and a fair shot. The ones who live in war torn countries under brutal dictators. The ones who feel powerless to change their lives.

Again, standing there looking at the screen, I wanted to cry, but I didn't. As you know, I am an emotional idiot, and anything that looks or feels like a feeling freaks me out, and I hide behind my mask. Mature I know.

And, as I held back my tears, I checked off name by name my vote for president, my vote for judges, state representatives, and local representatives. I wanted to cry, but again, I didnt.

Despite the political bickering, the constant battle that goes on between Republican and Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, I voted for us all. I voted for my guy, and the hope that he will win, and bring about peace and restoration. I don't have faith in him, or any candidate, but I can hope.

This election season, I have found myself interested, but I have kept myself at an arms length from my candidate this time around. I don't know if I am jaded, or if I am at a place where I realize that I love Jesus more, and I have finally put all of my hope into Him. I think its the latter. I think I have continued to fall more and more in love with Jesus, and I have learned that He is the answer, always, to every question. I always stumble when I take my eyes off Him. I always loose my way when I don't stare straight ahead at Him. And for His love, mercy, and hope that He gives me, I could cry, but again I didn't.

I urge you to share your voice. No matter how small we may think it is, share it. Your vote is your voice. Shout it, share it. Do it for our country, and do it for yourself. Do it because others have died trying to attain it. Do it because nothing will make you more American. Do it in hope that it will bind us together as an American people. I sign off tonight thinking and praying for this country, the best place in the world. I will be praying for peace and unity. Neither candidate can save us, heal us, or unite us, but there is One who can.

2 comments:

Denise said...

goodness, this needs to be printed in your local paper! so good! I voted today too and was proud to be able too.

I admire your faith too!

Brooke said...

"I love Jesus more"
beautiful!!