Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Money Matters

I really like to get high. Yes, I said it. Getting high is awesome.
For some getting high means smoking pot. Mom, FYI--pot is a drug, not something you cook in.
My version of getting high means saving money. Saving money is one of my FAVORITE things.
I was on a major savings spree today, and even hours later, I am still enjoying my buzz. The other day Carla bragged on her shopping trips, so I thought I would join the fun.

Here is how I saved.
My straightener died, and I had to buy a new one. I originally purchased one from Ulta that cost 70.00 bones. I couldn't justify that. I took it back and went to Target, and got a new one for around 40.00. Thirty dollars saved!

My office sells discounted movie tickets. I went and bought my tickets for the Hunger Games on Friday night. (Yes, I did!!) Rather than pay over 20.00 for two tickets, I bought them for 12.00! Saved another 8.00, yahoo!

Of course, I have to save the best for last. A few weeks ago, P and I purchased a Kitchen Aid Mixer for our anniversary. I have been wanting one for years. We found it on sale at Macy's. Normally they run about 400.00, but we found it for 240.00 and bought it, thinking it was a great deal. Last week, I saw a flyer selling the mixer for 199.00. WHAT?? I took the flyer in to Macy's today and price matched the mixer, and now I have a gift card for 73.00 smack-a-roos! (We bought it with P's debit card, and he was not at the store, so I couldn't get the money put back in our account.)

Total saved today around 220.00. Not to shabby for a Tuesday!
What savings have you had lately?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Those are some great savings! The other day I bought our hotel room for our Kauai trip this weekend, 5 nights for $130 a night! And the rooms usually go for $300+ a night.

Denise said...

that is awesome! I was just thinking last night - I go days now without spending. Which I love! Sadly, our furnace died last week (darn murphy) and had to be completely replaced. Can you say...emergency fund depleted.

Live Simply- Live Well said...

Michelle, that's awesome! That is a huge savings!!

Denise, uhhhh so frustrating. But, at leaste you had the emergency fund to pay for it and didn't have to borrow to fix it. Kick Murphy out out out.

Brooke said...

love that "savings spree"

most of my savings is because i'm too lazy to go grocery shopping, so we make do with what we have :)

~Carla~ said...

Awesome girl!! I'm impressed! That's a lot of getting "high"!! ;) hehehe!!

Counting all my stars and saving it said...

Every time I use a coupon or save a few extra dollars on an item, I am on cloud 9. The feeling is better then being drunk :)