Thursday, February 13, 2014

How I get into Beast Mode

About a month ago, I was at Jamba Juice getting my Saturday morning smoothie after a killer Pure Barre class (one medium Berry Upbeat, holy yum), when the juicer asked if I wanted a wheat grass shot. I declined the "enticing" offer. I paid for my drink, and went merrily on my way. When I got home, I started researching wheat grass, was impressed by what I read, so I decided to pick some up when I went to the store.

Drinking wheat grass is probably the most hard core healthy thing I do. Full disclosure, this stuff is just nasty, and if I think about it too long before I drink it, I can actually make myself gag. Its green, its gritty, and it stinks. Not the most appetizing drink in the world.

Some people make green smoothies, but I have neither the time, nor the desire to clean all the tools it takes to make a smoothie each morning. My cocktail is 1/4 of a cup of juice, 1 scoop wheat grass, then a 1/4 cup of water. Stir it around, then slam it down.

I do like to drink my grass out of a nice glass, just because it makes me feel fancy. After I drink it, I immediately shove a piece of an orange in my mouth to get rid of the taste, which helps immensely.

The best part, P decided to go along with it, and now chugs grass right beside me each morning.

Given that it stinks, tastes like grass that was chewed up and spit out by a cow, has the texture of sand, and is green, why the hell do this to myself?

For the health benefits. Here is what that green "goodness" does.

-Has vitamins A, C, E, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, and Amino Acids
- Increases production of hemoglobin (I don't know what that means, but it sounds important)
-Improves diabetes, prevents tooth decay, improves wound healing, and prevents bacterial infections
-Removes cancer causing agents front he body and removes toxins from the liver and blood
-Reduced blood pressure, improves indigestion, and lowers cholesterol
-Energizes the body and mind
-1 scoop is equivalent to eating 5 servings of veggies
-Aids metabolism and is a good tool for weight control
-Boots the immune system
-And so much more!!!

In the end, I figure that drinking this nasty concoction takes about 10 seconds of my day, but it provides so many health benefits, that to me, its pretty much worth it. After I drink it, I imagine all the greens making their way through my body, doing all sorts of good things for me.

I don't know if it is mental, but the mornings that I drink my grass, I feel more energized, alert, and sunny. I feel healthier and more alert immediately. (What, I said it may be mental).

Yes, I will burp up a bit of it throughout the morning drive to work, and it is quite unpleasant. Yes, I have walked into the office with green bits in my teeth and in the corners of my mouth. Yes, just thinking about the taste and texture right now sends shivers up my spine.

But, in the end, I feel good about what I am doing, and I don't see a down side to it.

Ever tried wheat grass? What did you think? Whats the craziest thing you have done for your health?





3 comments:

Amanda S said...

You are so brave! I could never drink that stuff daily because of the taste. You probably get used to it after awhile, but still. It's all about the green tea for me. I drink multiple cups of it a day and luckily it's absolutely delicious!

Denise said...

I'm not sure if you are allowed to say "beast mode"...

I made a green smoothie this mornign (at 415am) - I prep it the night before and blend it before I leave.

that is beast mode!

Brooke said...

hemoglobin is connected to iron and oxygen rich blood. kinda like blood doping. only legal. and not weird. okay still weird. but legal.