Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sewing

I am trying to learn how to sew. This is a challenge for me because I am not, I repeat not creative at all. I cannot draw, paint, or even color very well. I am very type A. I like simple, organized, and orderly. So, learning to sew is a bit of a challenge for me. I am trying to learn so that I can mend clothes for a homeless shelter.
The only thing I have ever sewn was a pillow from 8th grade home economics. Let me tell you it was a disaster. UHHH. But, I decided I will give it another try. I told my mom that I wanted to learn to sew and she got me a new sewing machine for my birthday. My mother is a master seamstress. She made some of my prom dresses in high school. (Her claim to fame is that she won 1st place in the state sewing competition. She made a jacket with a silk lining... yea she is good).I have learned how to thread my machine, and that is all! It is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to take her down, and sew. It is a little intimidating for someone who is not creative and who's one experience with sewing did not turn out well. But, alas, I shall try again!!! I am not going to let this stop me from trying and conquering. I mean, millions of women throughout history have sewn for their families. I should be able to do this. I must learn to do this. So this weekend, my mission is clear. Thread the machine, put in fabric, and put the medal to the metal, (metaphorically speaking).
Wish me luck!!!

No comments: