Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Baking...yumo





I really like to bake, but I don't like to cook. Rachel Ray says that bakers are people who like to follow the rules, and cooks are people who like to be creative. That is so true for our family. I am a rules girl. I want rules, I like rules, and I really like to follow the rules. P however, is more of a free spirit (according to Dave Ramsey--yep I am the nerd). He is such a great cook. He can make the best meals with no guidance. He just starts throwing things together and makes this delectable meals. Me--nope give me a recipe book and I am going to do everything to a T. Plus, I come from a long line of cooks and bakers. My grandfather owned a restaurant, all of my great aunts can cook anything and it looks and tastes like it came from a restaurant. And, my mom is an amazing cook. She does not think so, but that woman can do some mighty things in a kitchen. But I digress.
I think it is so much fun to bake yummy treats for the people I love. However, baked goods are not so good for the waist line, sad. So for the past several months I have been on a quest to bake low fat yummy treats that will satisfy the sweet tooth, while being diet friendly for my friends. And, whenever I bake, I don't eat what I cook for some reason. I really like giving it to my friends to enjoy--so its a double bonus.
A few months ago I found some yummy chocolate chip cookies that are made with avocado rather than butter, and they were delish. I have made them for work and bible study and my friends rave about them.
Today I had a meeting at school, so I made some stellar chocolate muffins with pumpkin to replace the oil and butter, and they were delish. I added a little confectioners sugar to the top and you could not tell a difference.
I am currently on a quest to find the greatest cupcakes ever. About a month ago I spent an entire weekend making cupcakes from scratch. I seriously tried 4 different recipes in 1 weekend. They were good, but not quite up to par just yet.
But I will keep on baking!!

No comments: