Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July everyone. I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday. In the mix of parties, fireworks, and bbq's, I hope you take a chance to reflect on today and what it means.
I love America. I am passionate about being an American. I love my country because of the freedom she gives me and because of the opportunities afforded to me and my fellow countrymen. As a woman, I am not bound to any profession simply because of my sex. As an American, I am free to express myself in any way I choose. I am able to live my life in any way that I like, just as you can.
So tonight as I attend a back yard party, then lay in the park and watch the fire works, I will give thanks to God for allowing me to be born in this place. I will remember the soldiers who fought in wars past, and the one's who are fighting right now. I will remember the women who were alienated by their families and friends as they fought for suffrage for all. I will remember Dr. King as he fought for social justice. I will remember the women who worked in the factories while the men fought. I will remember our founding fathers who dared to defy their king and establish this great experiment. I will call my dad and thank him for fighting and for serving his country in Vietnam, a place far from his family and far from anything he had ever known.
As I watch those fireworks I will remember that these rights we take for granted are what makes our country great. I will remember that even though I have the freedom of speech, I need to use it wisely because words have power. I will remember that this country that so many people take for granted should be treasured and cherished. I will remember to thank a soldier the next time I see her.
I will say the pledge with pride and examine the words that I am saying rather than just repeat them blindly. I will take hold of the words in the Star Spangled Banner as I try to wrap my mind around what Key saw that night as he put pen to paper.
I love this country and I am thankful to be born here. God bless America.

No comments: